anti-Semitism a parallel to other forms of intolerance, discrimination
and racism? Can our knowledge of anti-Semitism provide new insights
into the politicalisation of group identity, or should islamophobia and
anti-Semitism be seen as two distinct and divergent phenomena in
different societal and historical projects of exclusion?
questions will be addressed through a lecture by the distinguished
anthropologist and historian Prof. Matti Bunzl (University of
Illinois-Urbana Champaign) and a subsequent panel debate at HL-senteret
on Sept 16 2009.
09.30 Islamophobia and Anti-Semitism in the New Europe. By professor Matti Bunzl.
- Bunzl is Associate Professor of Anthropology and History at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In his book Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia: Hatreds Old and New in Europe
(Prickly Paradigm Press, 2007), he offers a lucid historical and
cultural clarification of the key terms in these ongoing debates, their
continuities and discontinuities
10.30 Panel debate
- Professor in History Christhard Hoffmann,
- Professor in Philosophy Arne Johan Vetlesen,
- Professor of Social Work Irene Levin,
- Lecturer in the History of Religions Dr. Gøran Larsson,
- Associate Professor in Sociology Pål Veiden, and
- Professor Matti Bunzl.
The debate will be chaired by social anthropologist associate professor Sindre Bangstad.
The seminar ends at 12.30.